Another Martial Arts group finished up on Tuesday, earning their orange belts from instructor Rachel. At the start of the ceremony, Rachel commented that each time she comes she is more aware of the spirit of independence and confidence that students and staff at the Center embody. From left to right are Travis, Ceci, Mike, Serena, David, Showe, Chaz and Rachael. Graham graduated from the Center in late April, but was part of this class. He received his orange belt before he left Colorado.
Congrats to Another Martial Arts Class!
- Recent Newspaper Articles Highlight C... — We wanted to bring your attention to a couple of newspaper articles that appeared in November and brought attention to the Center. Both reflect great partnerships that help us ensure that our students can, as our tag line says, learn to “Take Charge with Confidence and Self-reliance!” The first, from November 5, appeared in the… Continue Reading Recent [...]
- Your White Cane Can Take You Very Far... — Editor’s Note: Libby graduated from the Center this fall. She recently sent us this photo following a tour to this beautiful spot in her home state, a Navajo Tribal Park. It’s a great testament to how far a blind person can go with a white cane. Sounds like a great trip Libby! . I got… Continue Reading Your [...]
- Eagle Scout Project Enhances Art Room — With many students and the results of their projects, supplies ranging from clay to wax to stone and of course the tools to work with each, an art room can quickly succumb to forces best summed up in the statement: “All things tend toward disorder.” This may be a paraphrase and we certainly don’t recall… Continue Reading Eagle [...]
- Ring that Freedom Bell on #COGives Da... — Each student who meets all the requirements for graduation from the Colorado Center for the Blind earns a Freedom Bell. Ringing that bell symbolizes that they are free to pursue the lives they want, free from dependence and lack of blindness skills, ready to challenge society’s low expectations with “Confidence and Self-reliance”. It’s a very… Continue Reading Ring [...]
- Check out the BBC video on Poonam — Our alum Poonam Vaidya of Bangalore was recently part of a BBC World Service radio episode of “The Conversation.” She spoke about blindness with another guest, a blind attorney from Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia. Shortly afterward, the BBC posted this short video of Poonam. Check it out: I'm blind and I'm not begging Poonam Vaidya is… Continue Reading Check [...]