- March 31, 2020, All day: Application deadline for the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Scholarship
- April 15, 2020, All day: Application deadline for the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado (NFBCO) Scholarship
- May 31, 2020, All day: 3rd annual NFBCO 6 Dot Dash 5K
- July 14, 2020, All day: NFB National Convention
- July 31, 2020, All day: End of Summer Program & Graduation Ceremony
Independence Training Program Video
In addition, a number of classes are offered on a regular and/or rotating basis, such as art, martial arts, career exploration and resume writing, College Prep and organizational skills.
General Program Information
Our Independence Training Program (ITP) is designed for blind adults (18 years of age and older). Typically students complete the program in six to nine months while residing in nearby McGeorge Mountain Terrace apartments, which are owned by the Center. Participants not only build the skills that they need to be independent, but also focus on gaining confidence and belief in themselves as blind people
A key part of ITP training involves the use of sleepshades. All students with residual vision wear sleepshades to strengthen reliance on other senses and use of alternative skills. This builds confidence in their ability to approach all life situations.
Graduation from the Center’s Independence Program is celebrated with a graduation meal prepared by the student for Center students and staff as well as invited friends and family. At the end of the meal, the student receives his or her Freedom Bell, signifying their newly acquired independence.
Be sure to see our FAQ for Prospective Students